Fill the gap in China (in 3 aspects) (As of October 2013)
- University Town of Shenzhen is a research-based university group focusing on cultivating full-time postgraduates, which was jointly established by local government and first-class universities. It does not only quickly bridge gap of high-level talents cultivation in Shenzhen, its unique education model has paved a new path for the reform of higher education in China.
- In 2006, Professor Huang Laiqiang of Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University, and Professor Liu Zhongjian of Orchid Conservation & Research Center of Shenzhen published an article named Pollination: Spontaneous Insemination Strategy of Orchid, the first thesis of Shenzhen published in world’s leading academic publication. This achievement was awarded as one of the “Seven significant progresses in Chinese bio-science research field in 2006”.
- School of Transnational Law of Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School is the only law school in mainland China that cultivates law talents completely based on American law education mode (J.D. mode).
Leading position in China and in the world (in 24 aspects)
1. World leading achievements (in 3 aspects)
- In 2009, Chinese scientists announced in Shenzhen that they completed the first “Orchid Genome Framework Diagram”. This significant achievement was initiated through communication between Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University, and Orchid Conservation & Research Center of Shenzhen, completed by cooperation of many research and development teams, with far-reaching impact and important value in bio-science and evolutionary biology.
- Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University began to research “VRB Energy Storage System” in 2003. The sample system of 2.5 KW is equipped with main technology indicators at internationally advanced level. They have taken the lead to build a practical demonstration system (10 KW) “Photovoltaic Power Generation-VRB Energy Storage” in China.
- “Chemical Genome Laboratory” in Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School was established in 2003, the first lab specializing in chemical genome research in China. Its research mode combining basic scientific research and translational medicine is world leading.
2. Pioneering in China (in 12 aspects)
- The national standard “General Demonstration of DVD/CD Read-only Optical Head ” (SJ/T 11321-2006), whose main drafter is International Optical Disk Engineering Research Center Shenzhen Branch of Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University, was formally issued in 2006. It is the first national standard independently drafted by China in the field of DVD key components.
- “Key Laboratory of Logistics Engineering and Simulation in Shenzhen” in Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University is the first engineering technology and simulation lab in China that covers the basic core process links of logistics.
- “Key Laboratory of National Environmental Protection, Environmental Microorganism Utilization and Safety Control” jointly established by Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University and Tsinghua University is the only key lab in China that aims at environmental microorganism utilization and control, and serves national environmental management.
- Chemical Genome Research in Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School was approved as the first Chemical Genome Research doctoral degree program of national level-2 subject in China in 2007.
- Peking University HSBC School of Business, with its mode of “military school in business field” and its Dual Master’s Degree Program of “Economics in Peking University and Finance in University of Hong Kong” and “Management in Peking University and Finance in University of Hong Kong”, has become one of the most influential business schools in China.
- Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School is known for its international education model, taking the lead in China in terms of education, scientific research and management.
- AVI Encoding and Decoding Technology created by School of Electronic and Computer Engineering in Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School has become a world standard, based on which the 3D TV encoding and decoding standard was created for China.
- Harbin Institute of Technology Shenzhen Graduate School took the lead to explore academic and practical master education mode in China, which was praised by Ministry of Education and Ministry of Industry and Information Technology.
- Harbin Institute of Technology Shenzhen Graduate School took the lead in China to explore the education mode with two tutors, with one coming from school and the other from enterprise. This helps achieve connection among education, scientific research and production.
- The funding rate of National Natural Science Fund of Harbin Institute of Technology Shenzhen Graduate School is over 50%, a top level among its peers in China. Averagely, 0.5 teacher undertakes one research project.
- In 2011, Harbin Institute of Technology Shenzhen Graduate School signed School-Enterprise (Public Institution) Framework Agreement on Cooperative Cultivation of Post-doctors with 15 enterprises/public institutions, and awarded the boards of “Scientific Research Practice Base for post-doctoral Researchers”. This was the first time for higher education schools in China to set batch scientific research practice bases for post-doctoral researchers in Shenzhen.
- The annual average scientific research fund per full-time teacher in these three graduate schools reaches 1.43 million RMB, a leading level among colleges and universities of China.
3. Pioneering in Guangdong Province and Shenzhen (in 9 aspects)
- The Energy and Environmental Material Research and Development Team led by Professor Kang Feiyu of Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University was selected into the first batch of innovative scientific research teams in Guangdong Province.
- “Shenzhen WBN Multimedia Key Laboratory” of Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University is the only province-ministry stereoscopic video R&D base combining production, teaching and research in Guangdong Province.
- “Shenzhen Branch of National Key Laboratory of Electrical Power System” of Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University is the first national key laboratory branch lab in Shenzhen approved by Ministry of Science and Technology.
- “Guangdong Chemical Biology Laboratory” of Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University took the lead to research chemical biology in Guangdong. It created a trinity research platform to research tumor.
- Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School’s R&D ability in water/air pollution control and biomass energy is at top level in Guangdong.
- The Serious Disease Chemical Genome Research Team led by Academician Wu Yundong in Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School was selected into Shenzhen’s first batch of “Innovative Entrepreneurial Teams” in the city’ s “Peacock Plan”.
- School of Advanced Material of Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School organized seven enterprises to establish an industrial-chain collaborative R&D group, which successfully applied the “2012 Innovative Engineering Project of National New Energy Vehicle (Power Battery) Technology” jointly approved by Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Industry and Information Technology and Ministry of Science and Technology, receiving national subsidy of 150 million RMB. This is the first international innovative collaboration in this field in Shenzhen.
- Among full-time teachers of Harbin Institute of Technology Shenzhen Graduate School, 100% of them have doctoral degrees, over 66% of them had overseas study experience, and over 60% of them were identified as high-level talents by Shenzhen City.
- Currently, there are 190 post-doctoral researchers in University Town of Shenzhen, which is the largest scientific research base for post-doctoral researchers in Shenzhen.